Chesterton Knew The Importance of Ecumenical Dialogue

Chesterton Knew The Importance of Ecumenical Dialogue

Wednesday 15 August 2012

Where were you when......?


From time to time people will remember exactly where they were when something 'big' happened, first moon landing, shooting of JKF, death of Blessed JPII, etc. But other days may not be so easy to recall, for mere mortals. For example, Where were you 13 years ago today? Oh yes, now you mention it, I do remember. I was in Preston for a couple of days that weekend. Fr McMahon SSPX, had arranged for Joseph Pearce to come and give a talk, in a pub over dinner that Sunday, to a group of us who had read his book on Tolkien.

Mr Pearce was a bit surprised to find that Father was from the SSPX, as no one had told him that when inviting him. Anyway I'm sure we all had a great time. Joe, no doubt gave a very good talk, I don't remember what I had for dinner, but I'm sure it and the beer was good. At some point I produced my hardback copy of Joseph's first mainstream book, Wisdom and Innocence, A Life of GK Chesterton, and asked if he would mind signing it. He asked where I'd bought it? From Aidan Mackey said I, a GK Chesterton bookseller, at the time. "I've already signed it" he replied! Amongst a few laughs he took the book and a pen, and added 'The Assumption 1999' above his signature which was, as he said already there. I clearly had not read the book, and have still not! But I have quoted from it a number of times and now today, the Feast of The Assumption 2012 I have finally started to read it! Don't worry Sir Pratchett you can borrow it as soon as I'm finished.

No comments: