Chesterton Knew The Importance of Ecumenical Dialogue

Chesterton Knew The Importance of Ecumenical Dialogue

Monday 9 July 2012

Meptist 'Bishop' Of/In Marylebone?


Many years ago when I was a pagan, a friend and his cousin spent an hour or so trying to make me a Christian. One was a Baptist and the other was a Methodist. I did not really take them very seriously, and spent most of my time taking the mick. I did however ask them both, Why should I go to your church and not his, what's the difference? To which they both replied, Nothing really go to either. And so I named them Meptists on the spot! (Sorry Nan)
Then walking passed Marylebone Station the other day with my niece, she started to say, That women looks like... but she stopped. I went back and said Hello, what church are you from, politely (No, really Iwas polite, I didn't ask, How old is your church?). She said she was a Methodist from Gambia and, yes in her church she is a bishop. I asked if I could take her photo to show to a friend of mine who is a former Methodist, now Catholic.
Peter of the GK Chesterton tie told me, when I showed him the the photo, that the Methodists in England don't have bishops, but that elsewhere they do.

No comments: